Company Overview
The history of Phillips & Temro dates back to 1920, when James B. Carter opened his manufacturing business in Winnipeg, Canada. Over the years, Carter invested heavily in acquisitions, research, and equipment that led to an expansion of cold weather products all aimed at keeping cars starting on cold Canadian mornings. By the 1970s, the company changed its name to Carter Temro Ltd.

Meanwhile, approximately 400 miles South-in Minneapolis, MN, Phillips Moses had started his own manufacturing and sales company. In 1945 the company was acquired and renamed the Phillips Manufacturing Company. Over time, the Phillips product line expanded to include engine heaters and related cold weather starting products.

The merging of the two companies began in 1972 when the Budd Automotive Company bought Carter Temro. Four years later Budd bought Phillips. The next ten years saw the Phillips side of the business move to a bigger facility in nearby Eden Prairie, MN. By the early 1980s, both facilities had become market leaders in cold weather starting products for aftermarket and OEM automotive and heavy duty equipment sales.

Today the company is owned by the Morgenthaler Partners investment firm, employs over 550 people and is a leading global supplier of Cold Start technology, Power Distribution Systems, Emissions Control Devices, Silencing Equipment, and Cooling Fans.
Company Summary
Name
Phillips & Temro Industries
Number of Employees
100-499
Phone
(952) 918-8684
Location
9700 W 74th St
Eden Prairie, MN
55344-3515