Requisition Number 6787
Location: 2101 6th Avenue North, Birmingham, Alabama, 35203
Position Type: Non Union
Number Open: 1
At Spire, we believe energy exists to help people. To enrich their lives, grow their businesses, advance their communities. It's a simple idea, but one that's at the heart of our business. We're dedicated to understanding our customers' needs and goals to better serve them today and tomorrow. That's why we're always looking for driven, collaborative people to join our team. Because we believe that offering our customers the best service means bringing together the best people.
We value safety, inclusion, and integrity. We connect to people, get the job done, and leave a memory and everything about our culture comes back to one thing: a handshake at the front door. We have 4 essential behaviors that show how the Spire culture comes to life:
Living Spire Behaviors
- We Collaborate: We reach across boundaries to connect with each other and deliver on our promises. We put teamwork first, knowing that our collective energy makes us stronger.
- We Care: We create good memories by treating people how we want to be treated: We are inclusive, respectful and kind. We actively create a caring culture that feels like a handshake at the front door.
- We Advance: We are active learners who never stop looking for ways to innovate and improve ourselves, and our company. We embrace ongoing development and process improvement with passion and tenacity.
- We Have Perspective: We strive to gain additional perspective about Spire's business and the ever-changing energy industry. We know that every employee plays an important role in Spire's success, and we give our best to better understand how to help move the company forward.
Spire is seeking an enthusiastic, career minded undergraduate student to join our operation in Birmingham, AL. Our paid internship program affords students the opportunity to learn and be mentored. As an Intern, you may complete various projects and perform administrative duties while developing skills related to the assigned department and natural gas industry.
- Assist in the recruitment of new industries to Alabama
- Participate in meetings with international and domestic prospects
- Provide technical assistance in developing proposals for prospects
- Analyze and communicate local, state, and federal incentive information
- Assist local economic development organizations in their recruitment endeavors
- Work collaboratively with other summer interns who are part of the program
- Internship will culminate with a presentation to the Economic Development Association of Alabama (EDAA) Intern Steering Committee
- Assist Business Development managers with customer growth and retention projects
- Participate in customer sales meetings with the Residential, Commercial, & Industrial channels
- Evaluate sales pipeline and collaborate on departmental sales forecasts
- Special assignments that may or may not be related to primary duties.
- Ability to demonstrate the core and job category competencies: customer-focused, results-driven, teamwork, communications, adaptability, initiative, problem solving and quality
- Ability to lead by example in support of the Company's essential characteristics and values: strong ethics and integrity, dedication to a safe work environment, commitment to a diverse workforce that recognizes and respects every individual's unique skills and perspectives
- Excellent computer skills utilizing Microsoft Office Suite, especially in formatting, graphs, diagrams, tables, etc.
- GIS skills is a plus
- Independence tempered by the ability to follow direction, abide by a work plan, and meet deadlines
- Ability to interact professionally with staff and associates with solid interpersonal communication skills
- Strong research and writing skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail
Education and experience:
- Must be classified as a college junior or above as of January 2019
- Must be able to work up to 40 hours per week for a full semester, preferably through the summer semester.
- Must be performing within the college's acceptable GPA level.
- Must have at least 1 year of general work experience.
- Preferred fields of study include Business, Economic Development, Marketing, Finance, Economics, or related fields.
Certificates, licenses, registrations:
- Valid state-issued driver's license
- Normal office environment with some activities on construction sites, undeveloped property, and industrial settings
- Some overnight travel
Spire accepts online applications through our career site at jobs.spireenergy.com
Posting requirements: The above posting description is intended to describe the general nature of the level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Spire, Inc., and its subsidiaries are Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity in all areas, including but not necessarily limited to, recruitment, selection, training, education, compensation, benefits, promotion, job transfer, upgrading, separation and recall regardless of the individual's race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, and/or other protected categories under all Federal, State, and local laws. For more information, please view our Integrity and Inclusion pages of our career site.